Whointhewhatnow?

My photo
Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Production manager of a weekly newspaper in Outlook, Saskatchewan. The blog url of midsask.blogspot.com has absolutely nothing to do with MidSask REDA, though, they do very good work throughout the Lake Diefenbaker Region.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The last days

For such an ominous title it really isn't that bad. I am merely speaking of the last few days of summer. Yes, this weekend will be the first official weekend of fall. As of yet, I do not have the official time that the new season will arrive. While on the one hand, observing the trees and even the temperature is not all that fall like. Yes, there is a bit of a nip in the air, and the leaves are starting to drift to the ground. But the biggest sign that autumn is come is in the early mornings.

I wake up a little after five in the morning (5:30 to be exact, after hitting my snooze button a couple of times). During July and August and even June, getting up wasn't a chore, because there in my window was the sun to greet me. This morning, however, was black. The sun was only just starting to peek over the horizon.

I noticed it yesterday. Waking up at my usual time, and taking note of the fact that the sky was a little darker. Now is around the time when I blindly look at my clock to inspect what time it actually is. The questions often run through my head "Is it only 2? Maybe 3. It can't be time to get up yet."

Even the evenings are pretty short. During the summer, I am often surprised to find that it's 10:30 and the sun is dipping below the horizon, filling the sky with vibrant colours. Now, darkness sets in around 7:30.

According to Environment Canada, the sun rose this morning at 6:47 a.m. And it will set tonight at 7:14 p.m. Temperatures are predicted to meet highs of 17 Celsius and overnight lows close to zero. Now is the time when everyone thinks of that inevitable occurrence. The first frost.

Until that happens...

Keep 'em flyin'.

No comments: