Whointhewhatnow?

My photo
Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Production manager of a weekly newspaper in Outlook, Saskatchewan. The blog url of midsask.blogspot.com has absolutely nothing to do with MidSask REDA, though, they do very good work throughout the Lake Diefenbaker Region.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Free Comic Book Day

There is nothing that piques the interest of someone than hearing one little word. Free. For the past few years comic book companies and comic shops around North America (indeed, the world) have used this day to reach the masses. A great marketing tool, indeed. For myself, it was a day to pick up a few trades that I wanted to fill out my own collection. I don't really buy magazine format comics anymore. I like trades, coffee table books, and the like. Because I like to sit down with a good book and read it, not having to worry about retaining it's pristine condition as I remove it from a comic bag while wearing white gloves (let's be honest, some comic collectors ARE that anal).

But, this weekend has been a great geek weekend for me. I managed to find a few books I wanted and got some free stuff to boot. Such as the really cool Iron Man heroclik. Pearce picked up the Green Lantern Power Ring. Sadly, it did not come with a power battery. On top of that, I expanded my own Green Arrow collection and Hawkmna collection, and introduced myself to a series that Pat, over at Eighth Street Comics, has raved about, and Pearce told me about as being a much more intelligent James Bond. I've read the first couple of chapters so far, and it's very deep indeed. Titled Queen & Country, it's written by Greg Rucka, and has a large number of books in the series so far. Volume 4 is out, so I have my reading cut out for me.

For more information on this year's Free Comic Book Day, just check out the web site.

Until I give up my comics...

Keep 'em flyin'!

No comments: