Whointhewhatnow?

My photo
Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Production manager of a weekly newspaper in Outlook, Saskatchewan. The blog url of midsask.blogspot.com has absolutely nothing to do with MidSask REDA, though, they do very good work throughout the Lake Diefenbaker Region.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Nightwish-Creek Mary's Blood (End of an Era)

Music is a big inspiration to what I write. And this really inspired a lot of the creation of Maxwell and Naomi Running Cloud. I find this inspiration is rather coincidental. I'll get to that in a moment.

The band is called Nightwish. Formed in the mid 90's, they are a Finnish band that has mixed the symphonic sounds with gothic and metal, and completed it with a lead singer who is classically trained. In this particular piece, John Two Hawks, a Lakota Indian who resides in Arkansas, came together with Nightwish and recorded this song, called Creek Mary's Blood.

I created the character concepts of Maxwell and Naomi a couple of years ago, and have found different pieces of music that has been helpful in my writing, but none as much as this. I find this song a coincidence just for one fact. In Naomi's history as a member of Canada's military, she married one of the soldiers she met during her time. His name is Peter Simonson, and is of Finnish decent. When I created the character of Peter, I pulled a lot of things from the area I live in. Outlook, Saskatchewan has a very large population who are descended from Finnish settlers. So, when I found this song from Nightwish, a Finnish band, you can imagine how things kinda clicked.

Oh, I'm currently editing the next part of Canyons of Steel and may take a while, so don't worry, it'll be up soon.

Until next time...

Keep 'em flyin'.

No comments: