Whointhewhatnow?

My photo
Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Production manager of a weekly newspaper in Outlook, Saskatchewan. The blog url of midsask.blogspot.com has absolutely nothing to do with MidSask REDA, though, they do very good work throughout the Lake Diefenbaker Region.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The new machine

I completely forgot about this update until last night's lunar eclipse. I was getting ready to take photos of the lunar eclipse and looked up at my computer. "Hey," I thought. "My new 'puter gets a photo op." So, I snapped a quick pic of it. The machine is a major step up for me. With an Athlon 5000 processor and 4 gig of RAM, the machine came standard with a 160 gig SATA drive. I had purchased another hard drive, and that one was added to this machine, giving me 410 gig of space. Because I was going to be working with very high graphics, whether that be in Illustrator, Photoshop or any gaming (such as Neverwinter Nights which is seen on the monitor) an nVidia card was added, one from the 8500 series. That was a major step, because my old machine had only an 80 gig hard drive, 2 gig of RAM and a GeForce 7600.

What surprised me when I bought the machine, was what else it came with. I wasn't expecting a set of decent speakers, nor was I expecting a new keyboard and mouse. All of that for a $700.00 price tag. That was nice. (Enter shameless plug here) I have purchased most of my computer equipment and my camera from the local computer shop, Thorstad Computers, and they've really treated me well, so I have no complaints about going there again and again. Service was actually better than Futureshop. Are you paying attention, Big Box Store?

Until next time...

...keep 'em flyin'!

No comments: