Whointhewhatnow?

My photo
Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Production manager of a weekly newspaper in Outlook, Saskatchewan. The blog url of midsask.blogspot.com has absolutely nothing to do with MidSask REDA, though, they do very good work throughout the Lake Diefenbaker Region.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Remodelling

So, if you're like me and you have some minor redecorating to a room of your house (or in my case, apartment) it can often turn into a major chore. Especially in my case. The chore came in with the placement of my computer system. Now, I only have one outlet in the entire apartment for internet connection. Moving my desk would mean having to reconsider where the cabling would go. And I was loath to string it along the floor.

It was also around this time that my last DVD Player decided to give up the ghost, so to speak. Serves me right for buying el-cheapo DVD Players (my Apex lasted me a total of four years, I should have bought another one of those, as that one outlasted the two others that I had previously owned).

However, the lightbulb went off in my head, and I realized something. My computer has a DVD Rom drive. It also has a video card with an out to a television. So, the annoyance of cable along my floor lost out to convenience of not buying another DVD Player.

This also allowed for something else.

I now have a full entertainment style system set up. Pretty cool, actually. I can play music, movies and games from my computer and have them display on my television. And it worked out great, as can be seen by the pitcures. I also have a switch that allows me to keep my VCR, and I can play VHS tapes (yes, I still have some movies on VHS). Something else that was very nice was to have the additional screen for when I do actual work (yes, I do graphical work at home because I enjoy doing what I do) I can have the space on my desktop computer to do so, and all of the palettes in PhotoShop or InDesign or Illustrator can stay off to the side out of the way on my television screen. This makes for a much better, cleaner and easier environment to work in when I'm creating some of the things I create at home. Most of those are desktop wallpapers, but I also do some work on photographs that I take. Some, because I have my laptop for doing a lot of that work.

The big thing with all of this is, it may seem small (trust me, it wasn't, moving the desk, my cough, end table, and chair, by myself was a chore) but the new look of the place was most satisfying.

I just hope that I don't need to move anything again in the near future.

Until next time...

Keep 'em flyin'.

No comments: